It’s the end of summer. Season hasn’t started, and we’re all looking for a diversion.
Mounts Botanical Garden (559 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach) has plenty of them to take us all the way through fall. Stop by for a refreshing stroll through the grounds, or make plans to attend one of the many programs. Read on:
- Making a Garden Trough: The Hypertufa Process (9 .m.-noon on Thursday, Aug. 25; $30 for members and $35 for non-members; GardenPavilion). Trough containers are all the rage. These functional planters resemble old stone but are lighter in weight. They’re also durable and perfect for miniature gardens or small plants. In this workshop, you’ll watch a Master Gardener Ted Johnson demonstrate how to create a hypertufa container. We’ll supply tips on potting mixes and planting. Wear old clothes and bring clear plastic safety glasses and snug, waterproof dishwashing gloves. Class limit is 15.
- Everything Orchids: A Shady Affair Plant Sale (9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 10 and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 11; free for members and $10 for non-members). Mounts’ Everything Orchids weekend event is made for the shade. This plant sale offers a great opportunity to acquire orchids and shade-loving plants. Fun and informative lectures will be offered on topics such as Basic Orchid Care, Shade Loving Plants and Fragrance Plants. The area’s premier plant vendors will be selling begonias, bromeliads, orchids, ferns, hoyas, aroids and more. Magnificent tabletop arrangements will be offered in a silent auction to benefit Mounts Botanical Garden.
- Members Only Off-The-Road Tour (Friday, October 21; $105 per person): Travel to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers. This 20-acre tour includes the Edison main, guest and caretaker’s house, the Ford Estate and the Edison Botanic Research Lab and historic gardens. The tour also includes a river excursion that will take passengers up the Caloosahatchee River to the historic railroad bridge, with great views of the island rookery. Included in the price of the tour is a riverfront lunch with a historian, and motorcoach transportation to and from Mounts Botanical Gardens. Space is limited to 48 and is first come; first served. Not a member? You can join today.
The Mounts offers a number of ongoing events, including private garden tours and these two new community partnerships:
- Book Discussion Series: An opportunity for book and garden enthusiasts to experience exciting fiction and nonfiction titles related to all aspects of gardening and horticulture. Each month on the second Tuesday night, we’ll discuss a different title while we take in the beautiful grounds of the Garden. This series is a partnership with the Palm Beach County Library System. To register and obtain a copy of the titles, please call 561-233-1730.
- Art in the Garden Series: This community collaboration will feature Armory Art Center’s expert instructors teaching various art disciplines in the calm and serene setting of the Mounts garden. For a list of the upcoming classes, visit the events calendar or call 561-233-1730.
Really, you should go. It’s a treasure.