Once again, Palm Beach emerges as the South Florida leader in theater innovation.
Who says? The Carbonell judges, among others. Palm Beach County theaters, actors and artistic professionals took 13 of the 20 Carbonell Awards for 2016, eclipsing competitors from Broward (3) and Miami-Dade (4).
Maltz Jupiter Theatre brought home 7 of bronze orbs, designed by internationally renowned sculptor Manuel Carbonell in 1976. Palm Beach Dramaworks earned 5 and The Wick, in Boca Raton, rounded out the roster of Palm Beach County winners.
The Carbonells foster the artistic growth of professional theater in South Florida by celebrating the diversity of our theater artists, providing educational scholarships, and building audience appreciation and civic pride.
More than 25 professional theater companies participate in the awards process every year. Along with New York’s Drama Desk and Chicago’s Joseph Jefferson Awards, the Carbonell Awards are among the nation’s senior regional arts awards.
- Best Director/Play: Barry Lewis, Buried Child, Palm Beach Dramaworks
- Best Supporting Actor/Play: Paul Tei, Buried Child, Palm Beach Dramaworks
- Best Supporting Actress/Play: Margery Lowe, Picnic, Palm Beach Dramaworks
- Best Production of a Musical: Les Misérables Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Director/Musical: Mark Martino, Les Misérables, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Actor/Musical: Aloysius Gigl, Les Misérables, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Supporting Actress/Musical: Elizabeth Dimon, Billy Elliot, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Scenic Design/play or musical: Victor Becker, The History Boys, Palm Beach Dramaworks
- Best Costume Design/play or musical: Brian O’Keefe, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Palm Beach Dramaworks
- Best Sound Design/play or musical: Marty Mets, Les Misérables, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Choreography/Musical: Greg Graham, Billy Elliot, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Ensemble Production (play or musical): Glengarry Glen Ross, Maltz Jupiter Theatre
- Best Supporting Actor/Musical: Shane Tanner, Oklahoma!, The Wick